- 7 PM (Public Hearings, when required, are scheduled for 7:30 PM)
- 1st Thursday of every month
- Old Courthouse (Historic Court Circle)
6504 Main Street
Gloucester, VA 23061
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Opens a New Window.
Opens a New Window.
- ss Opens a New Window. Planning and Planning Commission
Email Planning Commission Opens a New Window.
- James Gray, Jr. - Chair
Email James Gray, Jr.
- Kenneth Richardson - Vice Chair
Email Kenneth Richardson
- James C. Harrison
Email James C. Harrison
- Chris Hutson (non-voting BOS liaison)
Email Chris Hutson
The commission consists of 7 members who must be residents of the county with 1/2 of the membership property owners in Gloucester. One member of the Board of Supervisors also serves on this commission. The term is 4 years.
This board reviews, discusses and hears public comment and makes formal recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on matters regarding zoning and planning.
Zoning Ordinance Update
Staff is working on a comprehensive update of the County’s Zoning Ordinance. This update will incorporate revisions based on changes to the State Code, Board initiatives as outlined in the Strategic Planning effort, recommendations from the Business Development Focus Group, and recommendations identified in the County’s Comprehensive Plan and by staff as part of their daily interactions with the public.
Planning and Zoning staff meet weekly to discuss/review the proposed zoning amendments before taking them to the Planning Commission for input. This is a multi-year project involving public engagement throughout the process. View the Ghant Chart (PDF) Opens a New Window. for progress to date.
View a Presentation to Planning Commission (PDF) Opens a New Window. from July 6, 2017.
- Phase 1 - The first phase focuses on simplifying and clarifying the ordinance to establish a solid foundation for the second phase and future amendments. Goals of this first phase are to:
- Clarify intent/interpretations
- Conform with State Code
- Reformat the district regulations to ensure a user friendly, straightforward, and adaptable structure
- Remove unnecessary requirements/regulations
- Phase 2 - The second phase will focus on implementing the community’s vision as adopted in the Comprehensive Plan. This phase will include addressing several Comprehensive Plan recommendations such as establishment of a Working Waterfront district, and the possible establishment of a Rural Residential district. Other needed revisions to sections such as signage and parking will also be addressed.
Contact the Planning Office at 804-693-1224 for more information.